Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: Plutonium Paint

A friend of mine is involved in the spray paint business.  She works for a company that is introducing a new line of spray paint, targeted at the home improvement, crafts, and art users.  She dropped off a few cans for me to try out.

What's interesting, it has an automotive angle.  Plutonium Paint's formula was derived from automotive paint, and I am told it is a "modified automotive acrylic".

This stuff is very different from the cheap spray paint you can get at Home Depot or Walmart.  It is very opaque.  It dries very quickly, doesn't run (as long as you don't overspray it badly) and dries matte instead of glossy.  If you want gloss, you have to clearcoat it.  It also has a weird lemony scent, which somewhat masks the paint smell.

It comes in a nice seamless can, which has smooth sides and a rounded shoulder.  The caps lock into the color ring after you open them.  I found myself losing track of the caps because they don't lock firmly down.  I am told that an updated cap design will be coming soon which will close more positively.

Plutonium claims to have twice the coverage of competitors per can.  I wasn't able to test this claim.  But it does cover quickly.

You need to shake the can very well to properly mix the pigment, for best results.

I used some of it to paint a model rocket with my daughter.  I think the result was quite nice.



Pros:

  • Dries fast
  • Nice colors
  • Neat seamless can
  • Made in USA
  • Sprays upside down


Cons:

  • Caps are fiddly
  • Pricey, $10/can online
  • Limited distribution (so far)












* TheAutoProphet received no consideration for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment